REAL 4.13 in the next 24-48 hours

• v4.13

Quelle:
    http://forum.canopus.com/showf…ollapsed&sb=5&o=2&fpart=1

01/18/07 08:48 PM (Serverzeit)
    --------------------
    Kenneally Harder
    Canopus Corporation

Right, so in the next 24-48 hours, I'm putting this update up in the downloads section. An update to the sticky post will also be made, once it's available.

This post here, is a frank and honest post about the state of the update, so read it. All of it. This post will make some angry, some happy, some jump ship and some hopeful.

v4.13 fixes some bugs and adds support for new EDIUS hardware. The readme states over a dozen bugs have been fixed, and sure enough, it has. A few other bugs were also fixed, but not documented - this is not out of the ordinary.

Now. NOT EVERY BUG HAS BEEN FIXED!! Some may not see point in getting this update. What needs to be kept in mind is that this isn't the last update ever for EDIUS v4, and that work is still going on. But since people were asking and asking and asking, here's a build that can tide over at least SOME people, while work continues on the code. Another thing to consider - is your issue really a "bug" or simply a workflow change that you don't like? Too often the word "bug" gets banded out without a bit of thought.

Since Anton was kind enough to write up a big "things I found wrong with EDIUS 4" post in another thread, I'll use that as a reference. Please note that I haven't the time and resources to check everything reported here in this forum. I'm actually right in the middle of making ADVC web pages right now, but I thought I had better tackle this issue first before stuff goes meltdown-like.

Die Zitate Felder beziehen sich auf Anfragen, Feststellungen von:

Zitat

Zitat

1. unable to click waveform node and the node remains selected when mouse button is let go

Still appears to be the case. Same applies for the Alt+drag lockout during playback.

Zitat

2. place clip on VA1, then drag another clip to VA2 or any other track and trim with N or M or Alt+N or Alt+M and the clip on VA1 is trimmed, this is totally unworkable and causesme to hit undo 200 times per day (also in 4.03)

This isn't a bug. This is what happens when people complain about the "Pat Sipes bug" and then it gets fixed. People apparently didn't like track focus jumping around with edit operations, so it got removed in v4.03. So um...do people want it changed back?

Zitat

3. unable to get used to the green and yellow disturbances when trimming, I much prefer Edius 3.62

Love it or loathe it, it's here to stay for the time being.

Zitat

4. When scrubbing the time line with cursor, I am no longer able to snap the cursor to transition in and out points, this worked fine in all previous versions

Still the case with v4.13

Zitat

5. timeline cursor fails to get center focus on many occasions

Mostly with zoom in, and sometimes with zoom out. It's *trying* to maintain its original position in relation to the timeline window GUI itself.

Zitat

6. unable to use PCE at all since wave audio is totally distorted

Can't test this one because you need an NX or SP apparently. I can confirm that PCE has a higher build number with v4.13.

I haven't tested this in v4.13.

Zitat

8. Project settings are global instead of project based! This applies to Edius SP or NX hardware systems using Edius 4.1 Broadcast

It's possible that this may have been an intentional change - I can see arguments for and against it.

Zitat

9. The timeline Cursor no longer moves during export to file, using Edius 4.1 Broadcast with SP hardware (this worked fine in 4.03)

Don't have an SP in my machine to test..

Zitat

10. unable to save batchcapture list, typing a file name not allowed

Fixed.

Zitat

:
    11. Application settings memory broken here are my application settings that I need
    http://www.videoproductions.co…-application-settings.gif

here are the reset settings after starting a new project
    http://www.videoproductions.co…application-settings2.gif
    Edius 4.1 fails to remember these settings

Not fixed.

Zitat

12. Strange Jump - add a transition between 2 clips, then hold mouse to center to get ][ which is used for fine tuning the center position, here I get a strange jump away from where I started. This does not happen when using the keyboard to achieve this, but I like my mouse for quickies and it was fine with earlier versions

Having a hard time following what is meant with this one - if it's related to the edit function changes overall (ie. a v4 thing, not a v4.1 thing), then see #3.

Zitat

13. when exporting a Pal timeline to DV Avi using MSDV codec, the resulting file has upper field first, this is totally illegal since DV is and must be lower field first

Unsure if this is fixed - I don't have a PAL monitor handy to verify.

Zitat

14. everytime I start PC and open Edius 4.1 Broadcast, I get an XDCAM server config window asking to configure the ftp server

Still the case, at least, the XDSelect app runs at EDIUS startup (and hence, the prompt may come up). Rename the XDSELECT.EXE file in Windows Explorer for now, if you don't need this software.

Zitat

15. PCE crashes if exporting to DVD

I have not tested this. Again, new PCE, so we might be in luck.

Zitat

16. Xplode Pro 4.5 can't do 16:9 video when using 3D Objects Transitions

I would wager this will still be the case - Xplode Pro development ceased some time ago. The plug-in was ported, but that's it. This also means that the Pixel-set overscan close-to-desktop issue is still around.

Zitat

17. Mpeg capture unable to capture 16:9 to m2v with 16:9 flag for DVD Authoring (it can only do 4:3)

I have not tested this with v4.13.

Zitat

18. unable to use m2p files without trouble down the track
    yes, add an m2p to your bin and save
    delete the m2p and save and exit
    restart the same project and Edius wants the m2p for as long as you shall live
    note that there are no clips in the bin and no clips on timeline
    http://www.videoproductions.com.au/edius4/m2p-warning.gif

Works ok here..

Zitat

19. Soundsoap causes audio delay and sound pops and glitches

I would assume no change with v4.13.

Zitat

20. unable to drag filters from one clip to another if there are even number filters, odd numbers can be dragged, you can drag 3 or 5 or 7 filters from one clip to another but you can't drag 2, 4 or 6

This isn't entirely true - you can still drag even numbers of filters, you just don't get the "visual feedback" you'd get if it was an odd number of filters. Still a bug in v4.13.

Zitat

21. unable to lengthen audio transition by equal amounts to either side of cut point in a single drag like in Edius 3

22. unable to lengthen video transition by equal amounts to either side of cut point in a single drag like in Edius 3

See #3.

Zitat

23. sync mode on/off in the application settings is not linked to the same setting in the timeline, this causes problems and users need to use undo many times

Appears to work AS INTENDED. The idea is that if it's enabled in the App Menu, all new projects will start with this option already enabled. It DOES NOT control the current Sync Mode setting - you still need to set that yourself from the Insert/Overwrite drop-down menu.

Zitat

24. unable to uninstall Quick titler, I used to be able to do that in earlier versions, now that software runs and consumes Ram when I never use it

The new installer system prevents components to be removed individually - all in the name of simplicity and OS cleanliness. Not sure if that can be changed now.

Zitat

25. Quick titler drop shadow directions not working, not that it bothers me but it needs to be reported for those who use it

Worked ok for me here in v4.13. But then, I'm assuming that people are not confusing the "direction" arrow thing to be the shadow's direction - that is for the shadow's colour gradient. The "Vertical" and "Horizontal" sliders function as intended.

Zitat

26. TMPro cutting off text when converted to motion if text is italic and/or has large drop shadows

Don't have TMP installed at the moment to test.

Zitat

27. If you have a project with mapped tracks you can not add a color bar with tone

This works ok for me - but I think it worked ok for me in 4.1. I'd be interested to know the workflow for this one..

Zitat

28. slow save times with large more complex projects

Don't have any big complex projects to test drive..

Zitat

29. in earlier versions of Edius such as E3 and E2, I was able to zoom the timeline if the cursor was on the right and it would zoom and bring the cursor to the middle, this no longer works for me

See #5.

I've also seen two of my issues are still there - keyframing is still "snappy" on YUV colour correction, and adding tracks still has "Front/Back" when it did actually once say "Above/Below"

So what was fixed?

This is from my update notes:

Fixed issue in rendering when using files captured by QuickCapture.
    Fixed pull down menu issue that closes when opening batch capture dialog box.
    Fixed issue when creating new project (a new folder was created in wrong directory).
    Fixed issue that "Convert 16Bit/2ch" does not work.
    Fixed Windows shutdown issue after using EDIUS.
    Fixed rendering issue that EDIUS freezes on rendering, when the timeline includes many TGA files.
    Fixed hanging issue when exporting DV25 format in XDCAM DV proxy mode.
    Fixed issue with speed change (field flip occurred).
    Fixed disappearing folder issue when making a new project (folder name is the same as the file name).
    Fixed capture issue when time code skipped over 0h (24h).
    Fixed information palette issue (source time code info was wrong).
    Fixed export to tape issue when exporting after preview (the image was black).
    Fixed issue with 5.1ch Dolby audio decoding.
    Fixed issue with partial rendering (rendering unnecessary areas).
    Fixed rendering issue that EDIUS freezes if mouse cursor is on rendered area during rendering.
    Fixed issue that can not select "over load area in MPEG(HDV) rendering format in HD60i.
    Fixed issue that VWS data becomes off-line when loading project file saved EDIUS Pro 3 with EDIUS Pro 4.

As I said, not everything was fixed, and some things were fixed but not listed.

That's all for now folks.

PS. If this thread gets nasty, I'll lock it. If people start posting FUD nonsense, "class action/legal action" rubbish and similar, the posts will be deleted. I've done this post to help you guys. I'd hope that you can remain constructive with your responses.

PPS. No, I am not in support, nor am I in engineering. Hence, I don't get a lot of time to spend testing stuff. I did this simply because I feel like I should at least keep you as best informed as possible, before "mob mentality" takes over and reaches new heights (or lows?).

--------------------
    Kenneally Harder
    Canopus Corporation

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

freundliche Grüße vom ViennaLowLevelService ........... old Hans [Blockierte Grafik: http://forum.canopus.com/images/graemlins/dance.gif]